Monday, April 16, 2012

My Blatant Hero Worship of Crewel and it's Author Gennifer Albin...

I'm not sure if many of you know this, but I happen to be lucky enough to belong (be a minion*) to an AMAZING mom's writing group (WrAHM) led by Gennifer Albin (our Supreme Overlord**).  For those of you who do not recognize her name, she just so happens to be the author of the much anticipated YA novel, CREWEL. Release date October 16th, 2012.


Description:  


"May Arras flourish at her touch."
For generations, girls known as Spinsters have been called by Arras' Manipulation Services to work the looms and control what people eat, where they live, how many children they have, and even when they die. Gifted with the unusual ability to weave time with matter, sixteen-year-old Adelice Lewys is exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But Adelice isn’t interested. Because once you become a Spinster, there’s no turning back.

She also had an awe-inspiring query that had seven (yes, count them seven) agents offering representation, and then Crewel started a publishing bidding war. (which as we all know, is every writer's dream)


Genn's Query Letter:

Incapable. Awkward. Artless.
That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: she wants to fail.
Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But if controlling what people eat, where they live and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.
Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and wove a moment at testing, and they’re coming for her—tonight.
Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her Dad’s stupid jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.
Because once you become a Spinster, there’s no turning back.
Is that AMAZING or what?
Well back to my story.  The WrAHM's might have been a bit unrelenting (see annoying) in their greedy pursuit to get their hands on a much coveted ARC (but come on what else are good minions supposed to do.)  As it was, a certain WrAHM (cough, me, cough) might have suggested a sharing tree, where we all go on a list and cycle the book between us until it finally ends back into Genn's hands.  Needless to say, she finally relented, and I happened to fall #1 (I actually signed up as Genn was still making the sheet) on the much desired list.  


So friday afternoon came (precisely 2:00pm) and I found a lovely package in my mailbox.  It might have inspired a screeching awkward happy dance, but I'll spare you the details.  And I also may or may not have immediately taken a picture and posted it onto our WrAHM page with the tag line, "Ok not to brag or anything, but look what I found in my mailbox today!"
I managed to finish Crewel by 3:00am, due, in part, to the gentle (see threats) of my fellow minions.  And in short is was incredible!  I loved the MC Adelice! Her spunk, sarcasm, sassiness, and strength won me from the start.  I was immediately invested in the ordeals she must face.  I hurt when she hurt, laughed at her quick wit, and lusted after a certain someone right along with her.  I also hated someone with a fiery passion, and cringed every time another strode into a scene.  The ending killed me in such a good way, and I cannot wait until book 2!  
Genn is a masterful story weaver, and I would greatly recommend that you all preorder or add this to your To Be Read list!  You will not be disappointed!
In fact, I'm a bit sad that I have to give it up, but I could never deny the other minions their chance to bask in our Supreme Overlord's greatness!

   Me clutching Crewel to my Save Ferris clad chest. (And if you don't know what that is in reference to, then I am about to die a slow and painful death.  But before I die there will be so much pity…yes so much pity!)

You can follow Genn at www.genniferalbin.com, and I'm also going to include the link so that you can also add the Crewel countdown widget to your blog here.
And for your listening pleasure, my favorite ear candy at the moment.



*we are highly loved and cherished minions.  
** Genn is an extremely good-natured Supreme Overlord, and has kindly allowed us to keep calling her this.

4 comments:

  1. Agh! I've heard about Crewel all over the place. I was looking forward to reading it before - now, I'm super eager! Great to see you back (even for a day)! Hope your hubs is recuperating well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy, definitely put on your TBR pile! Hubs recovery is going well, despite him going stir crazy and driving me wild with his chatter! Another few weeks and he gets to start putting weight on it!!!

      It was good to be back, if only for a day, and thanks for keeping tabs on me!!!

      Delete
  2. The pitch for the book you shared sounds quite intriguing. And I love your new profile picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good, you should definitely put it on your TBR pile! Thanks for the love!

      Delete