Friday, July 29, 2011

A Sigh of Relief...

YES! YES!! YES!!! 

Yesterday, one of my favorite beta readers called me to discuss my story.  Now this beta has also been one of my best friends since 7th grade, and she's never been afraid to give it to me straight.  But I must admit that for a teensy moment, a small part of me filled with dread over her verdict.  I was afraid that either she'd pacify me or that she would just hate it.

Well neither happened.  She actually loved the story, the premise, and the characters.  She also gave me honest opinions about plot points that she didn't think were working or that confused her.   I found myself not growing defensive, but agreeing with her.  A lot of the problems she had, were issues that I was already struggling with and had bothered me.  We talked for about an hour and a half, discussing ways I could fix said problems.  I got off the phone loving her even more, and eager to dive back into my manuscript.

Last night she sent me an text letting me know how proud of me she was.  And as if that weren't encouragement enough, she sent me another one this morning saying that she had dreamt about my book last night, and hasn't been able to stop thinking about it since.

It really doesn't get any better than that!  So Charito, if this Beast ever gets published your name is going up in bright lights in my Acknowledgements!

Now to finish editing the last thirty pages she demanded.  Till next time...


3 comments:

  1. What a great friend! I just love that kind of feedback - the comments that get you wanting to jump back into the story and make it even better.

    I once shared some of my writing with a friend I had known since 7th grade and it didn't go so well - I nearly gave up. My family is more of the pacifying type, so now I tend to look outside my family and friends for good feedback.

    Good luck on your last pages!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie- She really is the best. I'm so glad that I sucked up the nerve to asked her to beta for me.

    Mom- Thanks! I love you!

    ReplyDelete